Poisonous house plants should be handled with caution. Some can cause illness if eaten, and others can cause skin irritation.
Children are unlikely to eat house plants, but some brightly colored fruit may seem tempting. Call your physician immediately if your child has eaten any plant and shows signs of illness.
Cats, especially, and some dogs may play with or chew on plants. The toxic sap in poisonous house plants tastes extremely bitter and can cause a burning sensation in the mouth, so a pet is unlikely to play with them long. If your pet has eaten any of these plants and shows signs of illness such as vomiting, drooling, tremors, or any other abnormal behavior, contact your veterinarian immediately.
It's a good idea to keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth while pruning or repotting these poisonous house plants, and to wash your hands thoroughly afterward. If your skin is sensitive, I recommend wearing gloves while handling them.
Here's a round-up of the usual suspects:
Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) is not toxic, but I wouldn't recommend eating it either (it can irritate your stomach). Poinsettia got a bad reputation because it belongs to the Euphorbia family known for its poisonous plants. So this holiday favorite has been unfairly blamed for the bad habits of its family members.